Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Father and I

For many years I and my Father had a strained and uncomfortable relationship. I didnt want it to be so, yet it seemed that we could hardly be in the same room and not feel the tension that was often thick, in the air.


As a child growing up, I was quiet and sensitive and quite shy. My Father was often loud and critical. He was verbally abusive at times, which caused me to both fear him and want to please him. Mostly I just tried to stay out of his way and not say or do anything to upset him. I often felt growing up that my 2 sisters were critisised less than I and that I was "flawed" in some way. Those feelings stayed with me for many years and only in the past few years have I come to terms with those deep, and painful emotions.


I have done alot of therapy in my life, often centering around my self-esteem and inability to get over my childhood hurts. I would often feel that I had forgiven my Father and moved on, yet it was only on the surface. I still felt uncomfortable around my Father and and often felt stiffled; unable to be myself. Still seeking his Love and approval I found myself hyper sensitive to his words and my need to be accepted by him.


I started my journey to true forgiveness toward my Father several years back, at around age 52. At that time I was seeing a gambling councelor for my destructive and devastating gambling addiction. I had been seeing Donleen for almost a year and was struggling with several relapses that brought me to my knees. She felt I needed to be in treatment and so I went to treatment. 7 times in 2 1/2 years I went to gambling treatment! To say I was a mess, is an understatement. That is a whole other story, which I am telling in a book I am writing. For now, I want to get back to my Father and forgiveness.


In treatment I wrote volumes about my past and present. My deepest desire was to get well and to stop the self destructive relapses which were not only destroying my life, but deeply affecting the lives of those who loved me; my husband particularily. One assignment was to write a letter to someone who had hurt you and tell them exactly how you felt. No holding back, as this letter would not be sent. We were to reach down, deep into the painful situations and speak out the words that we were unable to say at those times. I started that letter to my father and I wrote, and wrote, until I felt I had gotten out years of pent up feelings , while shedding tears for that shy, fearful child of my past. As I cried for my past I

No comments:

Post a Comment